Friday, April 17, 2009

Music and Me

There was a time when I was gone three weekends out of four and almost every night to every musical event I could find. Those years it was about being a fan, a journalist and, transcending labels, a lover of music and those that made the music.

Somewhere I lost that or I just let go. I've begun to understand that we get in a bad place in our lives and sometimes deny ourselves the things and those we love because that is what we think we deserve. It was the joy of my life.

The good news is recognizing the problem and beating it. I've found it again. That means I've also found joy in the people I experienced it with, too.

Recently I took in the WKDF Birthday Bash for the total purpose of seeing John Rich stand there, guitar in hand and sing. No "smoke and lights" as Dusty would say in Pure Country (God Bless George Strait!). It was totally worth being slam dunked against bars at the front of the stage. It took me back to the days of the mid 1990s when I met the guys of Lonestar (actually 1996). It was about that time that they were the house band of the Wildhorse where the WKDF party took place. As John referenced those early days when he was with Lonestar all those memories came flooding back! What a joy to remember what had been and where I stood that night with friends and hearing the super talented John Rich perform.

It brings forth my favorite saying by Dr. Seuss, "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened."

We also had the pleasure of going to a Tin Pan South event here in Nashville recently and hearing Chuck Cannon, Shawn Mullins, Billy Dean and Richie McDonald perform and just enjoying hanging out and jamming. Afterward we had the opportunity to talk to Billy and catch up with Richie. Billy is gracious, wonderful and charming. What an incredible man and musician. Richie is Richie and that's a good thing. It's good to know you can be away from someone for awhile and know you'll walk back up and it will be as if time stood still. Nothing seemed to have changed. Well, I guess we all have, but his voice is as strong as ever and his new music is moving and wonderful.

Several weeks later, spur of the moment, we went to a church in Murfreesboro for a benefit to see Richie again and Chonda Pierce. What humor, what talent, what music, what heart tugging experiences were given as a gift to us that night. We really enjoyed the entire evening.

I've started writing like I haven't done in years and sharing that writing. It is heartwarming to have people enjoy what you do and want to share that. I've missed my music and my writing and blessed to have discovered the things I love again.

Find your passion and fuel its fire. Never let anyone extinguish all you can be with their doubts that you are willing to accept. Know who you are, what you can do, what you asprire to be and accept nothing else but the most from yourself. Your shortcomings can become assets.

No comments: