Friday, February 6, 2009

Grandma Moses


You can not imagine how excited I became when the discovery was made that our family, descended from Mayflower Compact signer, Richard Warren, made us related to Grandma Moses.


The irony is that as I was growing up my mother had curtains in our kitchen eating area that were a replica of this Grandma Moses (1860-1961) print ("A Beautiful World" - 1948). I still have some of those curtains stretched and framed. I fell in love with the folksy style of her work. In addition, we had a piece of hand painted watercolor art handed down by my great grandmother (we have yet to discover the painter) that was so similar in style.

Anna Robertson studied the art of Currier and Ives (another favorite of mine). She was born in New York, grew up in Virginia and returned to New York as she raised her family. It wasn't until 1940 that her art that grew out of paintings made of thread became known. She was eighty years old. Awwww....to know that anything is possible at any age if you believe enough and are passionate about the creation of your art!

VISIT http://www.allposters.com/ to purchase Grandma Moses Artwork.

No comments: