Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Importance of Family


Upon the birth of my second niece (actually my great niece) I'm reminded how important not only my family is to me, but the importance of the family unit. We are small, but through all the good and bad have always stuck tightly together. The bond is even more important now as another generation is added to our family tree.

One of my passions is family history. It is an incredible way for anyone to learn the history of our country and the world through the eyes of ones own ancestors. With the advent of computers, there is little we can't learn of our ancestors with substantiated sources.

Why is it important? Sometimes for health reasons, but moreover to know from where we came, not just geographically. For instance, my brother's nose looks just like my cousin's on my mother's side. We could never figure out his blue eyes until I found our long lost grandfather's WWI service card that shows his eye color. My hands are my mother's, yet my sister looks more like my mom than I do.

Without research I would never know that Daniel Boone is my seventh cousin or that we are direct Mayflower descendants from Richard Warren making us related to a long list of people (about 14 million to be exact!). I'm related to French Fur Trappers. We're Quaker. We are descended from the Kings and Queens of England. It is so interesting and almost overwhelming.

No comments: